E-Mobility Systems Engineer (Requirements)
Location: Northville, MI, US, 48168
Req ID 39136 | Northville, United States
The Systems Engineer III is an experienced level professional engineer responsible for requirements management within development projects for electronic components including Power Inverters or Power Control Units, which are used in powertrain systems of Hybrid or Electric vehicles. In this role, the Systems Engineer will analyze overall customer requirements and correctly derive them into system requirements for the definition of the components and system architecture and the breakdown of the system requirements placed on the sub-systems / engineering domains and delivering to the necessary functional core teams. They will report to the Engineering Lead/Supervisor for Electronics.
- Support the Technical Project Lead and other System Engineers in requirements discussion with the customer.
- Identify components required for the implementation of system requirements (specified in the system specification).
- Responsible for the specification of the cooperation of the different components / sub systems for the implementation of certain technical functions.
- Responsible for the specification of common interfaces and dependencies between the components / engineering domains.
- Review, manage, and negotiate customer requirements and agreements on technical system requirements in DOORS and obtain customer sign-off on final requirements together with the Technical Project Lead.
- Ensure customer and system requirements are linked together and update requirements according to the project progress or in chase of changes.
- Collaborate with development team to create the system FMEA and determine significant/critical characteristic and define a system architecture consistent with the technical requirements.
- Serve as the technical contact person for requirements related topic for the Technical Project Lead, the subcomponent coordinators and if also needed the customer.
- Support the Safety Manager to develop safety concepts to achieve required functional safety goals.
- Prepare risk analysis and impact analysis based on given requirements and changes
- Manage system configuration definition and releases to ensure hardware and software levels are compatible and fully specified.
- Discuss, develop, and link software and hardware requirements together with the domain coordinators to ensure requirements traceability.
- Identify and develop alternatives to problems and/or schedule delays to resolve and recommend ways to recover lost project time.
- Provide progress status updates including escalation topics to the technical project lead and the Engineering Supervisor Electrical Architecture
- Collaborate with hardware, software, and systems engineers to implement systems engineering strategies based on V-Model principles
- Lead and/or support trouble shooting and analysis tasks in case of problems or failures
- Work with development teams and customers during beta testing, pre-production testing and final product implementation.
- Perform feasibility studies in cooperation with other engineers of the project team for new requirements or change requests.
- Participate in continuous improvement programs, audits and ensure compliance with the ZF Quality Management System requirements (ZF QMS) which includes IATF 16949, Automotive Spice and Customer Specific Requirements (CSR).
- Perform other duties as assigned
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, with an emphasis on Systems Engineering, (Master's preferred).
- 5-6 years of experience of working in technical projects.
- Experience in the Automotive and/or Electronics industries
- Experience in the development of electrical components within Automotive
- Strong Knowledge of system level development.
- Knowledge of CAN, LIN, and other automotive communication protocols
- Strong knowledge and understanding of Requirements Engineering / Requirements Management
- Knowledge of Functional Safety Standard: ISO-26262
- Ability/Willingness to Travel Both Domestically and Internationally (up to 10%)
- English language competency - both oral and written
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/Disability/Veteran